Hi All,

I have been given some beautiful feathers from a fellow with a wildlife sanctuary. I need to wash and treat them. I appreciate any hints, as I'd love to start to dye my own feathers!

Cheers
Bron

Views: 4204

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Bron, I use feathers quite a bit in my work. The following is the process that I have been using (after compiling a great deal of research on how to properly sanitize and prepare feathers). Step 1: Freeze them for 24-48 hours. This will kill any mites/insects/parasites. Step 2: Wash them in hot, soapy water. I use the Blue Dawn dish soap that is used to clean oil off the feathers of birds affected by oil spills. It cuts through oil and dirt but does not harm the feathers. Step 3: Gently towel dry each feather, using a swiping motion in only one direction (quill to tip). Step 4: Blow dry each feather with a hairdryer on medium/hot setting. This returns them to their natural, fluffy state. It is a time consuming process, but worth it to ensure your feathers are properly cleaned. Final Step: I always wash my hands one more time when I am finished with the process. Hope that helps everyone! :)

Also, I have found that bleach and borax will start to "eat through" the feathers. The cornmeal mixture technique is used for drying body parts out/preserving limbs (think taxidermy) but not necessary for feathers.

I was taught to put them in the freezer for 1-2 weeks (to kill the mites) then wash them in baby shampoo and let them dry naturally and run them through your fingers to replace the natural oils.

I grow fancy chickens for their feathers.  I do not use  large plumes but instead sew small individual feathers onto a backing to decorate hats or make hat bands, headbands, feathered lei, etc.. 

See above for washing away grunge and killing mites.  You can also use a permethrin spray like the one made for treating clothes to prevent ticks.  Drying with a hair dryer is much too tedious for small feathers and will blow them all over the room.  Instead, put the feathers in a pillow case, tie the end closed and throw it in the clothes dryer.

FOLLOW US

Hat Headlines: Newsletter

© 2024   About | Contact | Help | Privacy | Terms   Powered by

|     |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service