What type of sewing machine do you use?

I've had two machines break down, a Husqvarna Viking Daisy, bobbin case is loose, plus my Elna Elina is knotting up underneath every fourth stitch when I turn the wheel. I will get repairs, but I'm wondering if I should invest in a heavy duty machine. Any suggestions?

Views: 2821

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have 3 Husqvarna Viking machines, one is Iris, I forget the other, 1 regular, 1 embrodiery, 1 serger. So far no problems. Our sewing shop has a resident repairman who knows the machines inside out, so most times just asking a question, ( when I was learning the machine)  was relief of my goof.

I may be old school, but if you are looking for a good quality machine, with little repair cost, get an old vintage Singer.  You can do all the reapairs yourself, they are mechanical, so you won't knock them out of time by hitting something a little hard, and they can be purchased for a small price on ebay.  I love my old singers. I have a 101, 99K, 15-91, and a 543. The three oldest can sew through anything including really heavy leather. They also have small heads that allow you to sew in tight places, and beautiful stitches.  People try to sell these home models as industrial.  They are not--but very heavy duty machines.  I also have 2 Husquvarnas--one rose and one 600 series. If you want to make pretty stiches and embroider, they are OK, but not worth the cost, in my opinion.  I have learned to work on them myself to save repair and maintenance cost, but they are much more tempermental.

If you go to e-bay looking for an old singer, don't be afraid to buy one that is being parted out or that is frozen up.  I bought a little 99K for about $9.00 being sold for parts. I wanted a small simple machine that could be converted to a hand crank to start my grandaughter out on, when she is ready.  This little machine was being sold for parts, and was totally frozen up.  I took the machine apart and sprayed all the rusted parts with PB Blaster and let it sit for 2-3 hours, replaced the tension spring, and bought the missing slide plate. Wiped it down and oiled it-- works like a charm!

Thank you. I have a Singer treadle machine, 1908 model. Will search out the models you mentioned.

Also check out the 201.  To this day many people believe it has the most beautiful stitch of any machine made. The really old models are straight stitch only, but you can still get attachments that create zigzag and button hole stitches among a lot of others.

pls I have a hand machine that don't know how to thread to use it, can anyone help pls. it a singer

I have many different sewing machines.  My favorite is a Pfaff.  It rarely breaks on me.  I do have an industrial machine that I use for leathers and very heavy material.  Since it is a cylinder arm it helps when you can't reach what you are working on with a flat bed.  Hope this helps.

Pfaff is an absolute favorite of mine!
I found an old Pfaff (made in German) machine for sale a couple of years ago, so I bought it. It's supposed to be a heavy duty machine, not a commercial unit, but built tough. These are the best.
Metal Singers are great too.

As for modern models, well, the heavy duty is a consideration, but a sharp needle and slow pace, so as not to mess up the machine timing, and most quality machines will handle the job. Personally, I use a Juki 2000Qi, but I need to mention that it doesn't have a speed control, but I got used to it. Though there's a more advanced one, 2010Q, so if you're interested - go for it. Another dream machine is a Consew 226-R, it's a workhorse. As far as I know, It should sew up to 20 oz (5/16") of leather easily. 

I hope this may help you.

- Heather

Hello, community!

I started sewing on a basic Janome, which was fine for simple home dec and beginner dressmaking. I upgraded to a Pffaf (very expensive, but of course I bought it used and got it for a song) once I decided it was a hobby I was really sticking with. 

Now I have a Janome in my house which cost about £150 3 years ago, and according to Ebay, it's basically worthless. So that makes me think that your best bet really is ebay. Seriously, my perfectly good machine was being listed for £10. I'd send it to you if I wasn't in the UK! 

Also, put the word out that you'd like to learn sewing, and I wouldn't be surprised if friends or relatives will 1) offer you a lesson 2) offer to lend you a machine or 3) offer you their old machine like I would. Don't be shy, learning from others is so good because you can ask questions. If you don't any sewers, I'd recommend YouTube, and blogs that focus on your interest (dressmaking, home dec, quilts, whatever). Have fun! 

Cheers,
Jess

I am the owner of SINGER One sewing machine. Use it pretty often and have never had any problems with it. It can be used with different types of fabrics and at the same time, I could say that it’s very simple in use. And its vintage appearance is really good looking.

for the last 3 years, I prefer industrial sewing machines. Juki and Highlead. Here is a good review by the way 

FOLLOW US

Hat Headlines: Newsletter

© 2024   About | Contact | Help | Privacy | Terms   Powered by

|     |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service